Below is a listing of student team projects by year from 2011-2013 for Designing Innovative Public Health Solutions and from 2014-2018 for Eat.Think.Design. Groups typically consist of three students, each from a different discipline. A small number of teams are comprised of either two or four students.
- GO Box: Doing Away With Throw Away• California, USA. Use BPA, reusable, microwavable containers to reduce the waste of disposable food containers
- Exploring Plant-Based Protein: The Bean Queens • California, USA. Work with companies to help consumers eat more meat alternatives through streamlined, ready-to-eat meals.
- M.O.B. (Museum of Broccoli) • California, USA. Influence a large, diverse group of people regarding food and climate change through a transformative experience blending art and science to drive positive behavior change.
- EarthBone: Repurposing Juice Pulp into Treats • California, USA. Reduce food waste through making dog biscuits from repurposed food waste.
- Recovered Food: A Gold Mine for Golden Bears • Berkeley, California. Redistribute excess food to meet the needs of food insecure UC Berkeley students.
- Closing the Loop • USA. Design a compost collection model that can be adopted by produce delivery systems in cities that lack municipal compost collection.
- Nourishing Our Neighborhood’s Network (N3) • USA. Ensure a fair and competitive market selling plant based foods intended to replace animal products such as meats, dairy, and eggs.
- Blockchain for Food Aid, USAID Food for Peace • Washington, DC & Global. Use of blockchain in food delivery monitoring and cashless food aid transfer.
- Fair Labor Produce, new venture • Salinas, CA. Increase transparency about working conditions to farm stakeholders in Salinas
- School of Fish, Royal Hawaiian Seafood • US. Have people try these tidbits in novel, communal or convenient settings, lowering their barriers to trying new products.
- Traditional Filipino Meal Prep, Sariwa • San Francisco. Create a platform to explore Filipino identity and social justice in the East Bay using stories of food – growing, cooking and eating.
- Rethinking Meal Prep, new venture • US. brings students together by creating a platform for them to exchange food.
- A Taste of Place, Yolcan • Mexico City. Preserve and promote this cultural heritage by growing organic produce for residents and restaurants in Mexico City.
- Farmcation, new venture • US #farmcation
- Tastes of Seaside Cooking Competition, UCSF • Seaside, CA #TasteOfSeaside
- Bun in the Oven, new venture • US #babysteps
- Youth-Led Exploration of Food Entrepreneurship, Civil Labs • Oakland, CA #YouthLabRealness
- SPH Restaurant & Teaching Kitchen, School of Public Health • Berkeley, CA #TeamBTK
- Making Home-Cooked Meals More Accessible, Josephine • Oakland, CA #TeamJosephine
- Melting Pot Foundation • Brownsville, NY #BrownsvilleDelights
The nine projects from 2015 are organized into three themes: Kids, Places, and Apps. The projects are listed below within these thematic groupings.
keywords: Murple, blender, kids, explore, play
keywords: school lunch, design, cafeteria?, Hot Cheetos, stigma
keywords: carrot, oregano, kale, orange, broccoli
keywords: hotpot, spread, diabetes, justice, recipe
keywords: corner store, residents, jobs, grab-and-go, meals
keywords: community, food, folks, fellowship, home
keywords: mobile, health, hypertension, diet, DASH
keywords: small business, artisanal, regional, food delivery, farmers’ market
keywords: food, jar, box, batch, budget
- Heart of the City, San Francisco. Streamline the SNAP token system at farmers’ markets so that employees can focus their efforts on continued investment in the local community.
- Revolution Foods, USA. Increase brand awareness around Revolution Foods’ approach to bringing healthier food to school lunches through the design of a brand ambassador program.
- Eat.Think…Zinc!, Uganda (Clinton Health Access Initiative). Redesign zinc treatment packaging to make it easier and likelier for rural families to treat childhood diarrhea.
- Sariwa! Fresh, USA. Introduce people who know Filipino food to healthier versions of familiar favorite dishes inspired by traditions of the Philippines.
- Gardening in Gondar, Ethiopia. Develop a strategy to make home gardening education more accessible in rural Ethiopia to combat the lack of nutrient-rich vegetables in the region.
- City Harvest Mobile Market, New York City. Redesign the City Harvest mobile market distribution process to improve client access among food insecure communities in New York City.
- The Final Mile, Navajo Nation (COPE/Partners in Health). Design a reliable way for remote Navajo communities access healthy food.
- Eat Drink Bayview, San Francisco (SF Planning Department). Design a Food Innovation District Action Plan to create new jobs by attracting food producers to the Bayview neighborhood.
- Nuestra Agua, Mexico (Fundación Cántaro Azul): Redesign kiosks for use in Fundación Cántaro Azul’s Nuestra Agua clean drinking water social enterprise program in rural Mexico.
- Benghazi Emergency Response, Libya (Avicenna Group, Benghazi Medical Center): Design the first emergency medical response system in Benghazi, Libya.
- Center for Health Design, USA: Improve the reach of the Center for Health Design’s database of usable, evidence-based information on health facility design.
- Clean Water Downstream, global (DEKA): Assist DEKA in the implementation of Slingshot, a novel water purification system for rural communities in low-income countries.
- Omada Health, USA: Develop a diabetes risk awareness campaign so that Omada Health can give people tools to take preventive action.
- SOSmapping, USA (new venture): Enable Berkeley seniors to better prepare themselves to avoid adverse health outcomes during disasters, such as an earthquake or fire.
- D-Rev, global: Identify market opportunities for D-Rev’s low-cost, prosthetic knee joint.
- Oral Health Services, USA/East Oakland (Oakland Unified School District): Improve access to oral health services at a school-based health center in the Oakland Unified School District.
- Ultra Rice and Complementary Foods, Cambodia (PATH): Assessing product attributes for an Ultra Rice based complementary food product.
- Patient Care Coordination Application, USA (UCSF): A patient- centered mobile/web application to improve medical team care coordination in hospitals.
- Redesigning Aid Relief, global/food insecure nations (new venture): Accurate registration and tracking of beneficiaries for food security and livelihood (FSAL) programs.
- Ready Room at UCSF, USA (UCSF): Designing hospital processes to cost-effectively improve patient satisfaction, physician performance.
- Funding Water Access Franchises, Mexico (Fundación Cántaro Azul): Designing a mechanism to effectively link funders to individual water franchisees in rural Mexico.
- Designing the Customer Experience for 2Vidas, Mexico (new venture): Pharmacy membership program that aims to improve glucose control for pregnant women with diabetes.
- Increasing Valley Care Enrollment, USA/Santa Clara County (Santa Clara Valley Medical Center): Lowering barriers for low-income residents to enroll in county- supported health insurance.
- Be Well, Stay Hot, USA (UC Berkeley School of Public Health): Digital health promotion for young adults.
- Healthy Smiles, USA/San Francisco (Head Start SF): Kits to promote improved oral health for preschool aged children and their families.
- School Based Health Centers, USA/East Oakland (Oakland Unified School District): Health centers for schools and the broader community.
- Safe Water Franchise, Mexico (Fundación Cántaro Azul): A model to provide community access to clean drinking water.
- Newborn Screening, USA/California (California Department of Public Health): Increased awareness and resources available to parents for hemoglobin trait.
- Tekla Labs, Nicaragua: Online resources to better equip underfunded labs.
- Maternity Care Clinics, Kenya (Jacaranda Health): Patient experience to drive utilization of maternity care services.
- Water Quality Communication, Mexico: Raising awareness around water contamination and water treatment.