Course Intern Opportunity: Eat.Think.Design
PH214: Eat.Think.Design. • Spring 2016
School of Public Health, University of California, Berkeley
http://innovate.berkeley.edu • @designspud on Instagram
Eat.Think.Design PH214 seeks an undergraduate course intern to assist a graduate student researcher (GSR) with incorporating the use of Instagram in a graduate-level course focused on design for social impact. The course intern will work directly with a dual degree master’s student (MPH/MCP) who combines experience in human-centered design, fine arts, and public health.
Intern duties may include:
- Background research drawing from different fields (academic, corporate, artistic) on best practices for integrating social media in higher education
- Assisting the GSR with ongoing curriculum development that adapts the use of social media into course assignments and communication
- Instagram content management (i.e., weekly posts and photo shoots for the course mascot, Design Spud)
- Development of appropriate evaluation metrics (quantitative and qualitative) to assess effectiveness of this new tool
- Creating props and sets for the course mascot, Design Spud
- Strategy around building a social network following
- Extending to other platforms (i.e., WordPress, Twitter, Facebook, etc.)
- UC Berkeley Undergraduate student
- Ability to attend class on Wednesdays from 4-7 pm through May 4, 2016
- Direct, extensive experience with at least two social media platforms including, but not limited to: Instagram, Periscope, SnapChat, Facebook
- A substantial following on at least one social network
- Specific skills in one or more of the following: storytelling, illustration, physical modeling, photography, visual design.
- Interest in social impact
- Experience using WordPress for content management
- A stipend for Spring Semester 2016
- Access to a consistently oversubscribed, admissions-based graduate-level design course, including 25 graduate students from 12 programs and three faculty from the School of Public Health
- An opportunity to professionalize social media experience
PH214 – Eat.Think.Design is the only course in the country that teaches systematic innovation in a public health context. Each year, we bring together 25 students from a dozen different graduate programs across campus to learn about the innovation process through team projects. We draw from twelve academic programs including Business, Public Policy, City and Regional Planning, Journalism, Health Policy and Management, Epidemiology, Health and Social Behavior, and Nutrition. This spring we will examine the links between food and health through innovation. Our course is supported by the Blum Center for Developing Economies, the Cal Design Lab, the UC Berkeley School of Public Health, the Center for Responsible Business, and the Center for Teaching and Learning.
Follow this link to complete the online application. The application includes a creative assignment related to our course.
Application Deadline: Friday, February 5 by 11:59 PM PST
This position is part of an effort to increase the use social media to increase meaningful student engagement, enhance communication, and expand the course reach to the broader UC Berkeley community. The position is supported by a 2016 grant to Eat.Think.Design from the UC Berkeley Center for Teaching and Learning.